By Carl J. Bobrow
By 1909 it was becoming more and more apparent that in future wars the skies above the earth would no longer play a benign role. Since the early nineteenth century the use of the balloon by the military in many countries, for reconnaissance purposes, had gained a wider acceptance. In the first decade of the twentieth century this predominantly passive observation deck would give way to newer and more effective contrivances for reconnoitering, specifically the aeroplane and the dirigible. It is easy for us to say from hind sight that these inventions would play an important role in the way that future wars would be fought and how European society as a whole would respond to the "threat from the sky". It should be noted that there were influential individuals at that time who believed that neither invention could or would provide any significant military value. Just as there were obtuse detractors who initially suppressed the militaries involvement in aviation, there were brilliant visionaries who saw the realistic possibilities that these new invention would provide and forged ahead regardless.
It is quite curious that both the aeroplane and the dirigible came into being almost at the same time. Although the dirigible showed promise early on for commercial as well as military use, with its extended range and high load carrying capabilities, the airships inherent weaknesses eventually forced its use to be limited. Aside from the psychological impact, due in no small way to its formidable size, it would eventually prove to be ineffectual in war. We need to keep this fact in perspective for it was not to be realized by the belligerents until it was tested under war time conditions. In the rush to maintain a balance of power England, France, Russia and Italy found themselves in a lopsided race to keep up with Germany's ongoing development and utilization of what was popularly known as the Zeppelin. This in itself would help spur the development of military aviation throughout Europe.
The stunning psychosociological reaction which resulted after the historic flight by Louis Bleriot across the English Channel in 1909 reverberated in England for decades. Their island home, touted to be a fortress protected by the world’s most powerful Navy, was now vulnerable by air. The concern of the populace was not simply for their personal safety, for it now seemed their very way of life was in the balance. Via the daily tabloids they came to the realization that military compounds, ammunition depots, rail centers, communication centers and other strategic locations were now open to aerial bombardment. It was even suggested that the Germans could covertly launch a fleet of Zeppelins with enough soldiers to invade the English homeland. It is important to remember there were but a handful of individuals who truly understood the limited potential of the flying machines which existed at that time.
The significance of the channel crossing was not missed by the keen mind of Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich, who was in France at the time. Upon his return to Russia he instituted the development of the All Russian Aero Club. The purpose of the organization was not only to promote aeronautical activities but to inform and inspire the public on all things pertaining to flight. This was not unique to Russia, most of the European continent was enthralled by the sportsmanlike activities which were exhibited by the early fliers.
Though the military in general was led to aviation reluctantly, there were those members of the various military branches who immediately saw the vast potential of both the aeroplane and the dirigible. As the development of flying machines progressed their reliability and usable range increased. The use and the deployment of both the aeroplane and the dirigible expanded both commercially and militarily. Many of the fanciful notions held by both the public and the military of what these apparatuses could achieve were soon swept away by the grim realities of war.
It soon became apparent that aerial observation of ground activities would be crucial to the war effort. The development of the aeroplane underwent a rapid maturation, with aircraft for specialized use constantly evolving in order to fulfill the conditions required at the various theaters of conflict. The captive balloon which proved effective for the trench warfare type of struggle, which the First World War had become, was limited in its observation range and thus was useful only at the immediate front.
The need for long range reconnaissance for observing the rear staging areas was vital. On the western front such operations eventually were accomplished by the successful use of two seat observation planes which flew at high altitudes. As the war went on the use of the dirigible proved largely ineffective for daytime operations. Their intended use for long range reconnaissance as well as daylight bombing eventually was taken over by the aeroplane. At the onset of hostilities the aeroplane as a whole was still limited in operational range as well as usable payload. Only Russia and Italy entered the war with aircraft which could effectively provide the military with both long range reconnaissance and bombing capabilities.
The German high command had put their faith in the giant airships; once again a few visionaries realized that large multi-engined aeroplanes were to be the future. The Germans were well acquainted with the development of Russia's long range reconnaissance/bombers, probably more so than anyone else. It is interesting to note that one of their first attempts to fill this gap was a design based closely upon Sikorsky's Il'ya Muromets. How much of an influence the Murometsy had on both the decision to build the R-planes (an abbreviation of Riesenflugzeug, the giant German bombers) in Germany and their initial design parameters is open to speculation. The German military command was quite aware of the fledgling Murometsy squadrons, since their unopposed sorties into the German rear on the eastern front caused more than a mere annoyance. They must have realized that such an aeroplane would provide them with the long range strategic weapon that they desired. It seems reasonable to believe that these deep intrusions into their territory had some influence on their decision to build their Giants, particularly in view of their expeditious development and use. Only after a concerted effort to fill this military and technological void did the other warring nations develop their own large multi-engined aeroplanes for long range reconnaissance and bombing. How the Russians, whose industrial base was only in its infancy at the turn of the century, could produce a design that was effectively years ahead of any other nation is an interesting story.
PHOTO # 1 The world’s first multi-engined enclosed cabin aeroplane popularly known as the Grand. This aircraft first flew in the spring of 1913, until it was severely damaged in a freak accident while on the ground. This flying testbed launched Igor Sikorsky's long career in heavy aviation. [Courtesy of Sikorsky Aircraft/UTC] By the age of twenty-four, Igor Ivanovich Sikorsky had already demonstrated his adept ability as an aircraft designer. Many of his designs were as innovative as they were successful. Some of these aircraft proved superior to both the foreign and domestic designs which were entered into the national military trials. Sikorsky's meteoric rise in these endeavors was due in part to his intuitive genius as well as his empirical approach to problem solving. In his long career no greater challenge would be faced than the design and construction of his multi-engined aeroplanes built in Russia.
PHOTO # 2 The second Il'ya Muromets built, a type B, this aircraft was given the name "Kievskiy" in honor of its achievements by Czar Nicholas the II. In this aircraft Igor Sikorsky and a crew of three made the epic 1,600 mile roundtrip flight from St. Petersburg to Kiev. Note the passenger on the observation platform in front of the nose. [Courtesy of NASM] After the successful construction of the world’s first and second multi-engined enclosed cabin aeroplane Igor Sikorsky decided to demonstrate that his large aircraft had a practical purpose. His plan called for a daring flight in his most recently redesigned Il'ya Muromets, R-BVZ No. 128. On June 30, 1914 Sikorsky, with a crew of three which consisted of two copilots, Lieutenant G.I. Lavrov of the Imperial Russian Navy, Captain K.F. Prussis of the Imperial Russian Army, and his trusted mechanic, V.S. Panasiuk, took off from Komendantsky Field near St. Petersburg for the 1,600 mile roundtrip flight to Kiev. The trek was intended to subject the aeroplane to varying operational conditions. Such a long distance flight would provide invaluable information for future design criteria and Sikorsky was well aware of this. Although he had successfully established world records for weight, altitude and duration in his previous multi-engined designs, he was quick to realize that these flights were not the same as the venture he was about to embark on. Manufacturing an aircraft that was to operate as a long range transport would require a design that could fly under various conditions. One practical way to recognize what these parameters would be was to conduct a lengthy cross country flight. Needless to say the publicity would benefit the company he worked for.
The Il'ya Muromets was provisioned with an ample supply of fuel as well as numerous spare parts to help ensure a successful flight. They had planned for only one stop near the city of Orsha for refueling. Aside from this one site there were no other airfields along the way, the only hope for an emergency landing would be one of the larger cultivated fields south of the great forests. The brilliant success of their round trip flight proved not only the viability of Igor Sikorsky's design but the possibility of long distance transport by aeroplane. The effect on the Russian aviation community was stunning, his designs would influence generations. Detailed news of the flight reached an astonished audience in the rest of Europe as well as the United States. Shortly after this epic flight an even more startling event unfolded which certainly obscured the news of Sikorsky's accomplishment; this was the assassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand and the subsequent outbreak of World War One.
PHOTO # 3 Igor Sikorsky standing seventh from left, below outboard engine of an Il'ya Muromets type B. This aircraft was delivered to the military and was equipped with Salmson engines. Photo taken during the winter of 1914-15.[Courtesy of Sikorsky Aircraft/UTC] With the commencement of hostilities Mikhail V. Shidlovskiy, the Director of the Russo-Baltic Wagon Company (R-BVZ) which built the Il'ya Muromets, for which Sikorsky was the chief designer, quickly realized that he had the opportunity as well as the obligation to help the Russian war effort. Having very close ties with the Ministry of War he was able to persuade them to order a number of Il'ya Muromets aircraft. He suggested that a squadron utilizing the Il'ya Muromets be created. The idea was to fly and operate them much in the way that a naval fleet works. Shidlovskiy and others felt the Il'ya Muromets not only possessed the potential to operate as a long range reconnaissance aircraft but also as a bomber and rightly so. This concept was a bold one for the time, as well as a shrewd business deal since the order could only be filled by one firm, the R-BVZ. Since 1909 it was widely believed that the dirigible would succeed in these tasks. Although the Russians did have a few French built airships and a few domestic made dirigibles in their service they were quickly shown to be outmoded for this aspect of military duty by 1914. Although the Germans made extensive use of their Zeppelins, particularly in the early stages of the war, these were of a much better design than the type employed by the Russians or for that matter anyone else. With this fact in mind Shidlovskiy's proposal struck a chord. The acceptance of Shidlovskiy's suggestion by the Ministry of War and the approval of Czar Nicholas II, led to the creation of the first squadron of Murometsy and a contract to supply military versions of the Il'ya Muromets.
Initially the existing civilian models were procured for military use. As we shall see this would almost cause the demise of the whole program. With the rush to establish this new squadron the need for experienced pilots became paramount. Unfortunately at that time there were relatively few military pilots who had the notion or inclination to join such a squadron. They had neither the vision of how effective the Murometsy would be, or the necessary training to fly and control such huge aircraft. These pilots, who were familiar with small aeroplanes, mostly of foreign design, thought of themselves as the Calvary of the air. Although many of them knew and admired Igor Sikorsky this did not translate into a willingness to staff the squadron. Yet not all of the officers of the Imperial Russian Air Force (IRAF) viewed the formation of this squadron or the use of the Il'ya Muromets with such skepticism. These officers and pilots who did join would form the nucleus of what would eventually become the Squadron of Flying Ships (Escadra vozdushnykh korabley, or EVK). Initially, as stated, the squadron was equipped with the existing Murometsy, these aircraft were upgraded and modified in order to fulfill the operational parameters which were required by the military. Instead of sending these aircraft to the front by rail it was decided to allow them to be flown to their forward locations. Although the pilots who flew the ships were experienced flyers their lack of familiarity with this radically new design almost signaled the death knell for the future use of the Il'ya Muromets and the squadron as well. Since the pilots flying these aeroplanes were unable to achieve the standards of performance as required by the military it was decided to place all orders for the Il'ya Muromets on hold. Additionally the squadron was ordered to stand down, temporarily at least.
Shidlovskiy believed that the real problem was organizational, rather than the aircrafts inability to perform. He arose to defend his aircraft and ideas vehemently, stating that failure to make use of such an important weapon would be tantamount to a criminal act. With his influential contacts in the Ministry of War as well as other branches of the government M.V. Shidlovskiy was not only able to get these orders rescinded but went on to obtain an appointment as the squadron's new commander with the rank of Major General. Mikhail Shidlovskiy envisioned a squadron which would be self contained operationally and insular from the normal command structure. Being an ex-naval officer he was familiar with military regulations, procedure and conduct. Both his organizational skills and his familiarity with the Il'ya Muromets made him an excellent choice. It is interesting to note that Shidlovskiy saw no conflict with the fact that he should both head the EVK and also make money by supplying the IM's to the military. Such a feudalistic throwback could only exist in Russia at that time.
PHOTO # 4 A forward EVK aerodrome, note the large tent type hangers for the Murometsy, probably taken in early 1915.[Courtesy of Sikorsky Aircraft/UTC] In December 1914 Shidlovskiy officially assumed command of the EVK but it was not until January 1915 that the General had things organized enough to send for Igor Sikorsky to join him at Yablonna, the EVK's forward aerodrome near Warsaw. One of their first duties was to ascertain why the IM's were not performing up to their normal operational parameters. They knew the Il'ya Muromets were more than capable of exceeding the military's flight requirements. Igor Sikorsky confirmed what General Shidlovskiy had suspected. The lack of proper training and organization for both the pilots and the ground crews had contributed to the poor performance. Sikorsky found the airframes were no longer in an airworthy state, also the engines were running far below their rated performance. Aside from these mechanical hindrances the lack of advanced flight training for the pilots operating the Il'ya Muromets, with its complex control system, had contributed to their initial failures. It did not take General Shidlovskiy long to sort out the control and command problems, nor did it take Igor Sikorsky much time to instruct the squadron in resolving the difficulties encountered in both flying and maintaining the Murometsy.
PHOTO # 5 A jubilant flight and ground crew after a very successful and important mission over enemy lines, early 1915.[Courtesy of Sikorsky Aircraft/UTC] By February 1915 the EVK was commencing operations which included long range strategic reconnaissance and bombing missions. As a result of these first flights and their overwhelming successes the Stavka (the Supreme High Command of the Russian Military) withdrew the command of the EVK from the Field Inspector General of Aviation, Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich, and placed the squadron under direct supervision of Stavka. The amount of sorties flown increased significantly with the emphasis on reconnaissance, particularly for the rear staging areas. It is quite evident from these actions that the high command quickly realized the importance of the missions that the IM's were capable of carrying out. Commensurate to all this the original order for the Murometsy was increased as was the size of the squadron itself, so that by 1916 the squadron had substantially increased in size. At the EVK's zenith of activity no less than thirty Murometsy were available for combat sorties. A good many of the IM's which were built by the R-BVZ were employed as trainers. As the squadron developed, a central base of operations was established at Vinnitsa. From here regional squadrons were sent out to various field positions to operate over the vast Russian front. Training courses were held at Vinnitsa for both pilots, flight personnel, and the ground crews. Here under the tutelage of an experienced staff, comprised of both pilots and technical specialists, the next generation of the EVK was prepared to assume the rigors and responsibilities awaiting them at the front. PHOTO # 6 Early military version of an Il'ya Muromets type V equipped with British Sunbeam engines. Note early sharp nose configuration on ship. Some of the officers of the EVK. [Courtesy of Sikorsky Aircraft/UTC]
PHOTO # 7 More than thirty examples of the type V were built, including a number of training versions, which utilized only two engines, either in a tractor or pusher configuration. This IM was equipped with Sunbeam engines. [Courtesy of Harry Woodman] In late 1914 a new variant of the Il'ya Muromets was produced. This was the type V. These aircraft were smaller in size and weighed less than the earlier type B . The type V were specifically designed for military use where as the type B were merely adapted for this purpose. These new Murometsy were faster and able to reach higher altitudes as well. A wedged shape nose was utilized on the first of these aircraft produced, but soon they were changed to a flat front polyhedral. Both of these nose designs were constructed of metal framing and a high impact glass which provided better visibility and safety than the earlier designs. The fuel tanks were moved to a safer placement under the center section of the top wing to prevent leaking onto the engines in case of puncture from shrapnel or bullets. The center section was now built as an open framework to allow access to the tanks which also provided an aperture for a machine gun placement for top cover. Machine gun positions were also installed at the doors and/or in the windows as well as a hatch on top of the fuselage aft of the wings on some of the Il'ya Muromets. The rudder arrangement remained basically the same as the earlier variants. The wings were narrower and the external wing rim was made of metal pipe instead of wood as with the earlier ships. As would be the case for all the Murometsy built during the war a variety of engines manufactured by different companies were utilized. This was necessitated by the limited supply of usable motors available.
PHOTO # 8 An Il'ya Muromets type G, with R-BVZ and Renault engines, shown with EVK flight personnel.[Courtesy of Sikorsky Aircraft/UTC]
PHOTO # 9 An Il'ya Muromets type G-3 with R-BVZ and Renault engines. Note top, side, and tail gun emplacements.[Courtesy of Sikorsky Aircraft/UTC] The type G models which were designed as a more advanced military version began to appear at the front as early as 1915. There were only about 9 examples of the G-1 produced. The essential difference from the previous model, was the increase in the size of both the upper and the lower wings in particular its chord. Additional glazing was incorporated in the nose of some of the later G-1's in order to improve the visibility for the pilot as well as the crew. This first variant of the G series was designed to carry a greater usable load so that in addition to carrying more armament it flew typically with a six man crew. In 1916 the G-2 which was designed with a strengthened wing structure was produced. With the need for a greater defensive potential the innovation of the tail gun position was introduced in this model. To get to this location at the end of the fuselage a trolley was installed. It ran on a pair of angular rails to the rear through the fuselage. By pulling on the cross wire bracing the crew member pulled the trolley to the rear or forward to return to the cabin. With the addition of a tail gun the central large rudder was first removed, then later in subsequent models a small fixed fin was employed in front of the gunners position. The two enlarged rudders were moved further out on the larger stabilizer. One particular G-2 which was powered by four 160 h.p. Beardmore engines was capable of operating at a 5,200 meter (17,000 feet) altitude with a full load. It is interesting to note that G-2's as well as G-4's were later employed by the first civil airline in the USSR. They saw service in 1921 between the cities of Moscow, Orel, Kursk and Kharkov as well as between Sarapul and Sverdlovsk. There were only about eight examples of the G-2 produced. In 1916 the Il'ya Muromets underwent further modifications in order to meet the expanded offensive and defensive capabilities required. This resulted in approximately eight examples of the G-3 being produced. Aside from the bomb load capacity being increased, the defensive firepower was added to by providing a hatch in the fuselage floor for a machine gun so that the ship's field of fire would then include the area beneath the aeroplane. The cabin size was increased by extending it down the length of the fuselage. The tailplane area was increased to accommodate the larger space being utilized by the tail gun. This G model was reinforced and strengthened in a number of areas such as additional welded tubing which was utilized in its construction. All these features increased the overall weight. Once again in an attempt to provide better visibility the nose was fully glazed.
PHOTO # 10 An Il'ya Muromets type E, class #E-56 R-BVZ #243, with EVK personnel at Pskov in the summer of 1916.[Courtesy of Sikorsky Aircraft/UTC]
PHOTO # 11 Forward interior view of an Il'ya Muromets type E's cabin note the extensive glazing incorporated for better visibility.[Courtesy of Sikorsky Aircraft/UTC] Between the years 1914 and 1917 over seventy Murometsy were manufactured in Petrograd. The manufacture of the aircraft was a complex process. There were constant design changes to meet the combat requirements at the front. In response to these virtually unopposed incursions over the line the Germans increased its presence of fighter aircraft, which were faster and better armed than ever. In order for the EVK to continue operations Igor Sikorsky and his team of engineers produced what would become the final variant of the Il'ya Muromets series. The type E were the largest and most advanced of all the Murometsy built. Aside from carrying as many as eight crew members, its armament and bomb load capabilities were increased. Some ships carried eight machine guns or automatic rifles. The first of the type E were not fitted with a tail gun but rather a platform that was lowered from the fuselage floor aft of the wings. From this position the gunner, lying on the platform, could fire toward the rear. The nose was fully glazed and the fuel tanks were enclosed in the fuselage. In the first version there appeared only one large rudder but with the return to a tail gun position in the second variant this was changed to two smaller rudders on the stabilizer.
PHOTO # 12 A railroad station, one of many which were successfully attacked by the EVK. Photograph appears with an altimeter/time overlay. For the most part a Potte type camera was used, it weighed in at 9 kg. (19.8 lbs.) not a small or light device but of minor consideration when used on the IM. [Courtesy of Sikorsky Aircraft/UTC] The EVK had its own photographic section which would process and develop all the negatives as well as the prints. They would supply them to the regional command headquarters as well as to Stavka. The distribution and delivery of these important photographs was carried out by couriers, many who would drive motorcycles over the rough terrain at breakneck speeds in all kinds of weather. The large size and load carrying capability of the Il'ya Muromets provided the perfect platform for high altitude reconnaissance. Aside from carrying a larger and more sophisticated camera, the quantity of glass plate negatives far exceeded what any other observation craft could carry. In addition to all this the large enclosed cabin provided the crew with a singularly unique environment to work in, particularly in the cold Russian winters. A marvelous overlay system was developed which would display the altitude and the time that each photograph was taken, these were particularly helpful when it came to photographic interpretation.
The squadron also had its own meteorological section which obtained from various sources the current weather conditions along the vast eastern front as well as the rest of Europe. It was sophisticated enough to make weather predictions which were extremely critical for the long range flights which the IM's routinely flew. The science of meteorology was fairly well developed in Russia at the time and General Shidlovskiy was able to man his squadron with some of the more noted specialists of the day.
(SLIDE)PHOTO # 13 This impressive 400 kg. (882 lbs.) dummy bomb was tested in August 1915, the purpose was to test both the aerodynamic properties of such a large device and the handling capability of the IM loaded with this type of bomb. It was designed and built by Prof. Zhukovsky and his staff, as were many of the larger high explosive bombs used by the EVK. A hole 3 meters (9.8 ft.) wide was created by the impact of this test device. 240kg (530lbs.) bombs were the largest bombs used by the squadron. [Courtesy of Sikorsky Aircraft/UTC] The EVK systematically bombed enemy positions, specifically transportation, supply and communication facilities. Generally a mixture of high explosive, fragmentation and incendiary devices were utilized. High explosive bombs ranged in weight from 16 kg. (35 lbs.) to 160 kg. (353 lbs.) depending on the missions profile. Fragmentation bombs weighing from 16 kg. (35 lbs.) to 48 kg. (106 lbs.) and an incendiary type of 10 kg. (22 lbs.) was also employed. The evolution of the bomb sights used by the Squadron is an interesting story in itself, suffice to say that eventually a very sophisticated optical system which allowed for drift was employed with startling success. Finally, bomb racks of both electrical and mechanical variants were tested and used in the Murometsy over the four year period of the squadrons existence. PHOTO # 14 The end result of an emergency landing at the squadrons Zegevol'd aerodrome, this occurred after massive battle damage was inflicted on both the ship and its crew, April 26th 1916.[Courtesy of NASM]
The combat record of the EVK was rather extraordinary, only one Il'ya Muromets was shot down and destroyed. Many times the ships would return with massive battle damage, on one occasion the entire wing section of one IM collapsed shortly after landing. In addition a number of airframes had to be written off after some rather bad landings. It is interesting to note that the shortages at the front were so acute that after a craft was no longer flyable it would be stripped of all of its fittings, cables, instruments and engines, only the wood frame would be left. As the war went on the presence of enemy fighter aircraft increased, so much so that ships would need to carry machine guns on all missions. In the early stages of the war the crew of the Il'ya Muromets would either take little or no armament with them. This was often done in order to lighten the load for other essentials such as fuel, oil or bombs. But after a few nasty confrontations with enemy scouts survival dictated that defensive weapons were a necessity. As the Germans began to discern a reoccurring flight path anti-aircraft batteries were set up in order to shoot down the slow moving giants. On more than one occasion anti-aircraft emplacements were aggressively assaulted, by their would be victims, with heavy bombardment and machine gun fire until they were silenced. The pugnacity of the Il'ya Muromets was well known and respected by the enemy. Although the ships flew at a relatively slow speed their high defensive profile as well as their ability to withstand massive battle damage made them a difficult opponent to successfully intercept. The most critical problem the squadron faced was the lack of adequate engines. After war had been declared the much valued German Argus engines became unavailable. The R-BVZ had to find suitable power plants from other sources which included France, Italy, America and Great Britain. The Salmson engines from France did not perform well on the Il'ya Muromets for a few reasons. The aerodynamic drag created by the use of four of these engines and their radiators was considerable. The radiators were also prone to failure from vibration.
The fact that they did not deliver the full rated horse power was probably due to a combination of factors which included the type of propellers used as well as the quality of the fuel and oil. Therefore even with the higher horse power available the usable load and ceiling was greatly reduced. Since the Argus engines were no longer available from Germany and the French Salmsons had proved to be unsuitable for the high altitude and load carrying capacity expected of the Murometsy it became critical to find an acceptable power plant. At that time the Sunbeam engine from Britain was the only engine available with a power to weight ratio which would be usable. These engines proved their worth while serving in the British Royal Naval Air Service, where they had expert mechanics to work on them and factories relatively close for spare parts. The Russians unfortunately did not have the same resources available to them, especially at the front were the Il'ya Muromets operated. The logistical problems of getting replacement engines and parts to the front from the various ports and terminals was slow at best. The Sunbeam engines did not the eastern front.
It was not until later on in the war when the advancement of engine design by the allies had caught up to the power requirements of the Murometsy, that any suitable engines were available other than Sunbeams or the Russian built R-BVZ-6. The Russo-Baltic firm produced a hybrid version of the Argus and Mercedes engine to help meet this critical shortage. The R-BVZ-6 engines were designed by a Russian engineer named Kiryev. Before the war he had worked in Germany at the Mercedes and Maybach plants. With this valuable experience, he brought back to Russia the knowledge necessary to design and manufacture large engines. These motors were built at the Riga branch of the R-BVZ until the advance of the German army in the fall of 1915 forced the evacuation of the facility. As a result only a limited number of the engines were initially available until production was resumed at the relocated plant. During the five year period that Igor Sikorsky and his team of engineers, mechanics and craftsman had been building and perfecting the design of the Il'ya Muromets no less than seventy aircraft had been built. Although Igor Sikorsky originally intended his giants for more peaceful purposes almost all of them were used by the Escadra vozdushnykh korabley or Squadron of Flying Ships during World War One. This unit, led by General Mikhail V. Shidlovskiy, chairman of the R-BVZ, constituted the world’s first long range strategic bomber and reconnaissance squadron. Its theater of operations covered vast expanses of the eastern front which included the Austro-Hungarian region of conflict in the south as well as the East Prussian front in the north. The heroics and gallantry of the members of the EVK was matched by the superlative performance of the unique aircraft they flew. The measured success of the Il'ya Muromets did not go unnoticed by Germany or the Allies. This fact is evident in the successive development and implementation of such aircraft throughout the war by all belligerents.
Photo # 15 An Il'ya Muromets type G with Renault engines. The personnel are members of the Red Air Fleet.[Courtesy of NASM] Of the Il'ya Muromets that survived the final stages of the war a few were pressed into service by the Bolsheviks as part of the fledgling Soviet Air Force. Together with former members of the EVK they saw some action during the Civil War. A majority of the airframes and engines had already become rather worn out by this time from their extensive use as well as their exposure to the elements. These factors, combined with the lack of experienced ground crews, led to the loss of at least one ship with its entire crew. Amazingly a few of the Murometsy still remained in use until 1921, relegated to civil transport.
Bobrow, Carl. "Early Aviation in Russia," W.W. I Aero, no. 114, pp. 18-29, 1987 Illus.
Bobrow, Carl. "A Technical Overview of the Grand and Il'ya Muromets." W.W. I Aero, no. 127, pp. 40-50, 1990 Illus.
Boyd, Alexander. The Soviet Air Force Since 1918. London: Macdonald and Janes, 1977.
Bychkov, V. "Russia's flying warrior." Krylya Rodiny, no. 2 (reprinted and translated in the Bulletin of the Russian Aviation Research Group of Air-Britain, vol. 26, no. 91), 1987.
Delear, Frank J. Igor Sikorsky: His Three Careers in Aviation. New York: Dodd, Mead & Company, 1969
Duz', P. D. Istoriya vozdukhoplavaniya i aviatsii v SSSR, do 1914-1918 [A history of aeronautics and aviation in the USSR for the period 1914-1918]. Moscow: Oborongiz, 1944, 1960, and 1979.
Duz', P. D. Istoriya vozdukhoplavaniya i aviatsii v SSSR, do 1914 g. [A history of aeronautics and aviation in the USSR. pre-1914 period] Moscow: Mashinostroyeniye, 1981.
Finne, Konstantin Nikolayevich. Igor Sikorsky, the Russian Years. Edited by Carl J. Bobrow and Von Hardesty Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1987
Gollin, Alfred. The Impact of Air Power on the British People and their Government, 1909-1914. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1989
Haddow, G.W. and Peter M. Grosz. The German Giants The story of the R-planes 1914-1919. London: Putnam & Co., 1962
Hallion, Richard P. Test Pilots: The Frontiersman of Flight. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1988 revised edition
Hardesty, Von. "Aeronautics Comes to Russia: The Early Years, 1908-1918," Research Report, National Air and Space Museum, pp. 23-44. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1985 Illus.
Jackson, Robert. Red Falcons: Soviet Airmen in Action, 1919-1969. New York: International Publications Service, 1970.
Jones, David R. "The Birth of the Russian Air Weapon." Aerospace Historian, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 169-71, Fall 1974.
Karinskiy, Nikolai S. "The Story of Aerostation and Aviation in Russia." Manuscript in New York Public Library.
Kilmarx, Robert A. A History of Soviet Air Power. New York: Frederick A. Praeger, 1962.
Kilmarx, Robert A. "The Russian Imperial Air Forces of World War I," Airpower Historian, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 90-95, 1963.
Nowarra, H. J. and G. R. Duval, eds. Russian Civil and Military Aircraft, 1884-1969. London: Fountain Press, 1971.
Pisano, Dominick A. and Cathleen S. Lewis. Air and Space History: An Annotated Bibliography. New York: Garland Press, 1988
Riaboff, Alexander. Gatchina Days: Reminiscences of a Russian Pilot. Edited by Von Hardesty. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1985.
Roustem-Bek, B. Aerial Russia. London: John Lane, 1916.
Shavrov, V. B. Istoriya konstruktsii samoletov v SSSR do 1938 g. [A History of aircraft design in the USSR for the period before 1938]. Moscow: Mashinostroyeniye, 1969; 3d ed., 1985.
Sikorsky, Igor I. The Story of the Winged-S: An Autobiography. New York: Dodd, Mead & Company, 1938; rev. 1958
Strizhevsky, S. Nikolai Zhukovsky, Founder of Aeronautics. Moscow: Foreign Language Publishing House, 1957.
Woodman, Harry. Early Aircraft Armament The Aeroplane and the Gun up to 1918. London: Arms and Armour Press Ltd., 1989
Woodman, Harry. "Les Bombardiers geants d'Igor Sikorsky," Le Fanatique de l'aviation, nos. 150 and nos. 151, May and June 1982.
Woodman, Harry. "Il'ya Muromets Type 'B' of WW I," Airfix Magazine, May 1985.
Yankevich, P. Aerofotographiya Rukovodstvo vozdushnoi fotographii [Aerial photography]. Petrograd: A. N. Lavrov, 1917.
Zhabrov, A. A. Annotirovannyy ukazatel' literatury na russkom yazyke po aviatsii i voz-dukhoplavaniya za 50 let, 1881-1931 [Annotated guide to Russian-language literature on aviation and aeronautics for fifty years, 1881-1931]. Moscow, 1931.
Carl J. Bobrow is a second generation American, descended from Russian and Ukrainian immigrants. Born on August 18th, 1952 in Brooklyn New York, which is coincidentally aviation day in Russia. He lives with his wife, Corinne, two year old son Alexander, two cats and Jake the wonder dog. Professionally a consulting audio engineer he is well known to some of the more prolific rock bands. He has been working with Dr. Von Hardesty, a curator at NASM, since 1984 in expanding the Russian aeronautics collection at the museum. This collaboration has included the co-editing of K.N. Finne's book Russkiye vozdushnyye bogatyri I.I. Sikorskogo [Russian air warriors of I.I. Sikorsky] which was published by the Smithsonian Institution Press in 1987 as Igor Sikorsky, the Russian Years. In December of 1988 he was invited, along with Von Hardesty and Sergei Sikorsky, V.P. of special projects at Sikorsky Aircraft/UTC, to present a paper and represent the United States at an international symposium on the history of aeronautics and astronautics sponsored by the Academy of Sciences of the U.S.S.R. They were privileged to visit the Central Military Archives in Moscow and while there obtained important information on early Russian aviation. The acquisition of this material has greatly expanded the scope of the research which has now become international in nature. Carl was a consultant for the Igor I. Sikorsky Centennial exhibition at NASM as well as the commemorative book The Aviation Careers of Igor Sikorsky. He presently has his hands full juggling three research projects and sometimes wishes he was an octopus. He is a member of The League of WW1 Aero Historians, American Helicopter Society, Cross and Cockade International, American Aviation Historical Society, The Russian Air Research Group of Air Britain, World War One Aeroplanes, The Society for the History of Technology and The Audio Engineering Society